Danger Foods for Dogs at Christmas
Christmas is a time of indulgence for us humans, but let's be honest, our pets get in on the action too. However, there are many tasty hazards for our dogs around Christmas time, many being ones that you may have not previously considered. As such, we wanted to outline some foods to steer your dogs well clear of this festive period.
Chocolate contains a chemical called 'theobromine', which is toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause tremors, seizures, vomiting, diarrhoea and even death.
The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains (with baker’s chocolate being the most dangerous for our dogs).
Keep all chocolatey goodies away from your dogs at Christmas time (and always!) and be wary of hanging any on your tree.
2. Grapes and dried fruits
Grapes, currants, sultanas and raisins are extremely toxic to dogs. Even just one or two of these can cause severe kidney failure.
Christmas favourites like Christmas Pudding and Mince Pies contain dense quantities of this ingredient, so stay vigilant.
3. Onions, garlic, leeks, shallots and chives
Our traditional Christmas roast dinners contain some seriously toxic members of the onion family.
Whether uncooked or cooked, these will cause vomiting and diarrhoea. However, the the main damage is to your dog's red blood cells, resulting in anaemia. This may not be apparent for several days after ingestion.
Alcohol is plentiful in most of our homes at Christmas, and whether consumed in food or liquid form, can pose a serious danger for our dogs.
They can become wobbly and drowsy and in severe cases, there is a risk of low body temperature, low blood sugar and coma. Dogs may help themselves to any unattended alcohol left lying around over Christmas, so ensure it's always out of their reach.
5. Artificial sweeteners
'Xylitol' is a sugar-free sweetener that is often found in the sweets we consume over Christmas, as well as chewing gums, mouthwashes, toothpastes and supplements.
It's poisonous to dogs and even one to two pieces of chewing gum can cause toxic effects in a small dog. It can induce the release of insulin in the body, resulting in low blood sugar and sometimes liver damage.
Signs of poisoning can be rapid or delayed, and include vomiting, lethargy, convulsions and comas. The prognosis is good if the low blood sugar is treated quickly.
If you think your dog has consumed any of the above, consult your vet immediately. If they show any symptoms of consumption including vomiting, diarrhoea or drowsiness they should be referred you an emergency vet immediately.